The railway from Orpington Sevenoaks was completed in 1868 under the
directorship of the SECR (South East and Chatham Railway Co). After
crossing the huge embankment over the Orpington Valley, it went into
cutting before the 597 yard Chelsfield Tunnel which inspired
by E Nesbit. NIne navvies lost their lives building this.
Much of the land belonged to Mr Waring of Chelsfield.
Sidings were provided on the Up Line principally for coal, and on the Down
Line there was a short siding on the level where the push-pull carriages
were sometimes parked, and wagons for local farmers to both send and
In the late 1920s a footbridge
across the Up Line sidings was
built to serve the newly
constructed Chelsfield Park
A bomb fell on the tracks in
1940 demolishing the
footbridge and damaging
tracks. The original timber
station was destoyed by fire
(as was Knockholt) in the
The skew road bridge carrying Warren Road has always been a popular
location for photographers.
2008 Philip Lane
A Community Archive
Chelsfield Station: a brief
Unless otherwise indicated on text and images, this website is protected by copyright under Creative Commons
Licence (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0). Click
for more information.
Chelsfield School Logbooks
Well Hill Mission Chapel
St Martin of Tours
Beating the Bounds
St Martins lightning strike
Fraud and forgery